I apologise in advance if you’re not a John Green fan.
Anyone who isn’t familiar with YA novels may just think that they’re nothing but cheesy romance stories – to be honest, so did I, at first.
But we all know that that’s not the case as you’ll often come across a quote in a young adult book that won’t leave your mind.
Here are some of the ones that are still stuck in my head.
1. “Because Margo knows the secret of leaving, the secret I have only just now learned; leaving feels good and pure only when you leave something important, something that mattered to you. Pulling life out by the roots. But you can’t do that until your life has grown roots.”
—John Green, Paper Towns
2. “Becoming fearless isn’t the point. That’s impossible. It’s learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it. That’s the point.”
—Veronica Roth, Divergent
3. “Eleanor was right. She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn’t supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.”
—Rainbow Rowell, Eleanor & Park
4. “Some walks you have to take alone.”
—Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay
5. “You weren’t born expecting that kind of beauty in everyone, all the time. You just got programmed into thinking anything else is ugly.”
–Scott Westerfeld, Uglies
6. “The universe is bigger than anything that can fit into your mind.”
—Ava Dellaira, Love Letters to the Dead
7. “I can tell you that the end of a life is the sum of the love that was lived in it, that whatever you think you have sworn, being here at the end of Jem’s life is not what is important. It was being here for every other moment.”
—Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Princess
8. “The words were on their way, and when they arrived, she would hold them in her hands like clouds, and she would wring them out like the rain.”
—Markus Zusak, The Book Thief
9. “You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you’ll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present.”
—John Green, Looking for Alaska
10. “If you ain’t scared… you ain’t human.”
—James Dashner, The Maze Runner
What are some of your favourite book quotes? Leave them below in the comments!